Sunday, April 21, 2024

Marsh Sandpiper at Normandy Marsh, Lymington, Hampshire

 

Yesterday afternoon I headed to Lymington to ‘twitch’ the Marsh Sandpiper that had been discovered the day before on Normandy Marsh. The bird was actively feeding in the NW corner of the lagoon throughout my stay and showed superbly from the seawall. Despite its smaller size, whenever a Redshank came too close it ran at a surprising rate of knots to chase the intruder off. The sighting was only my second UK record of the species and the first for Hampshire. My previous sighting being the West Sussex Pagham Harbour bird on 30 Jul 06 with fellow Amigo Slasher.

 

Marsh Sandpiper, Normandy Lagoon – 20 Apr 24


 

After admiring the Marsh Sandpiper I took a stroll along the seawall to Fishtail Lagoon. Other highlights included Little Tern, Common Tern and Reed Warbler year ticks. The Marsh Sandpiper was still showing brilliantly on my return to Normandy Marsh.

 


Picture 4 – Reed Warbler, Pennington Marshes – 20 Apr 24

 Good birding,

 Tony T   BSc (Hons) GeoSci (Open)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cedar Waxwing along the Manchester Gateway Trail, New York State

On the evening of arrival at Manchester and on our return from Niagara Falls the following day, Mrs T and I took a stroll along the nearby M...