Saturday, June 15, 2024

Queen Victoria Birding: Wedge-tailed Shearwaters and Leach's Storm Petrel onboard

 Each morning, I used to rise early and loop the promenade deck a few times, looking for birds that might have crash landed during the night. On the 16th of February I managed to capture a Leach's Storm Petrel that was hidden behind a bench and also a Wedge-tailed Shearwater, which was more out in the open. The 19th February saw me picking up two Wedge-tailed Shearwaters from the same deck. Glad to report that all the birds were safely returned to the sea after a quick once over inspection. The snaps were taken on my phone, so not the best quality, but it gives you an idea.

Wedge-tailed Shearwater 1, 19 Feb 2024

Wedge-tailed Shearwater 2, 19 Feb 2024

No 2 again

And Again

Close up on Wedgie 1

Tail of Leach's Storm Petrel, 16 Feb 2024

Leach's Storm Petrel 16 Feb 2024





Steve C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Queen Victoria Birding: Crimson-crowned Fruit Dove and Wandering Tattler at Vailima, Samoa.

 Queen Victoria docked in Apia, Samoa on the morning of the 20th Feb. Shortly after, myself, Jo and John (a birder I had met onboard) soon j...